If you really were what you eat, then I would be a bean. I love those tasty pulses for their versatility, speed and, of course, their flavour. My go to recipe for tired-after work evenings or hung-over lunches is this easy, speedy, refried beans one. Serve with rice, pile on tortillas or eat straight from the pan (we’ve all been there.) They are scrumptious with Guacamole and too much chilli sauce.
This recipe makes enough for 2 hungry people as a main or 4-6 as a side. It freezes well and by making this quantity you don’t have the annoyance of half a tin of toms loitering in your fridge.
Speedy Refried Beans
Preperation time: 5mins
Cooking time:10 mins
1 large onion
Too much garlic
2 tins of kidney beans, drained.
1 tin of chopped tomotos
4 tablespoons mexi-spice
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Oil for frying
1. Dice onions and chop garlic.
2. Fry in oil over a medium heat until onions are brown and your mouth is watering.
3. Add mexi-spice and stir, ensuring the spice does not burn. Once is smells delectable, whack in the tin of toms.
4. Add the tomato paste and stir, letting the toms bubble away and allow the sauce to thicken.
5. Once most of the water in the toms has evaporated (should only take a few mins) add in the kidney beans.
6. Once the beans are heated through, remove from the heat. Using a potato masher, work through the beans until you get that relatively thick gooey goodness.